Skip to main content

Review: The Red Pyramid

The Red Pyramid The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

****This review contains some spoilers****

This trilogy begins with The Red Pyramid. The main characters, Carter and Sadie Kane are brother and sister, but have not been raised in the traditional sense. Since the death of their mother, Sadie has been living with her grandparents, her mother’s parents, in London, attending traditional schools and living a normal life. Carter has been home-schooled and traveling the world with their father, Dr. Julius Kane, a famed Egyptologist. Twice a year, Dr. Kane is allowed to visit with Sadie in London. This is where our story begins. 
The Kane family is bi-racial. Dr. Kane is African-American, while his deceased wife was British Caucasian. According to the descriptions given in the book, Sadie resembles their mother, while Carter resembles their father. This causes people to have a hard time believing they are brother and sister, especially since they only spend 2 days a year together. It likely doesn’t help that Sadie, being raised in London, speaks with a British accent and uses British slang quite frequently.
Dr. Kane tells the children that he has a special visit planned to the British Museum, a research experiment that will set things right for their family. He blames himself for the death of their mother, and the children wonder if this “experiment” has something to do with this. 
Things go horribly wrong, however, and instead of fixing things, Dr. Kane ends up unleashing the Egyptian god Set, who immediately banishes him into oblivion and forces the children to flee for their lives. 
Not long after, Sadie and Carter learn that the Egyptian gods are awakening, and the most evil of them, Set, has his sights on the Kanes. In order to stop him, the children must embark on a journey unlike they’ve ever experienced. They learn that their family’s history is not what it seems, and that their family has a link to a secret society tied closely to the pharaoh’s of Egypt.
This novel is action packed, full of historical references, and is told alternately by Sadie and Carter themselves. Mr. Riordan writes it as if he has been sent a cassette tape by Sadie and Carter, and is just transcribing their words. He even goes so far as to write an afterword, in his own voice, explaining that he has done some research on his own, and that based on what he’s found, it appears that the children are telling the truth. 
It’s an interesting way to present the events in the book and I personally found it to be endearing. I can imagine that it would draw in younger readers, who the books are marketed to, even further. I read the Kindle edition, but just for information purposes, the paperback version is 192 pages. 
I have always been intrigued by Egyptian mythology, which is what initially drew me to this series. I had already completed the Percy Jackson series, also by Mr. Riordan, which I loved, but was a bit hesitant to read this one due to the lower reading age, simply because I feared it would not hold my interest. I am glad that I decided to go forward with it anyway. I could not have been more wrong in my thinking. 
Mr. Riordan’s writing will captivate readers of all ages. He gives a voice to each character that any reader will find something in that makes you want to keep reading. For me especially, it was Sadie. She’s only 12 years old, but she tries so hard to be much older, snarky, and in charge. I was very similar at her age, so I found myself connecting with her character almost immediately. With Carter, it’s his innocence. He has been a world traveler his entire life, yet, he has also been sheltered. As a parent, I just wanted to keep him safe. 
I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys stories about mythology, action, and adventure. If you’ve read the Percy Jackson series or Heroes of Olympus series, I think you would enjoy this book and the subsequent two as well.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome!

Well, I've done it. I've put it out to the universe that I'm writing a novel, so I guess I better put myself in gear. The intent of this blog is to talk about, well, most anything. While I'm writing, I intend to look for copy editing work (online), so I will post about things like that, possibly do some freelance writing if I can find it, talk about how my writing is going, etc. If you're here, say something, even if it's just hello. I welcome any and all to my blog. You can also find me on Facebook, my page is Author Page: Chloe Cuthbert. Feel free to give it a like and take a look around.

Finding my way

The writing is coming, in bursts, but at least it is happening. At this point, I think I may have two different stories going on; and I am ok with that. There is some character development going on that feels like it has long-term potential for my novel (novela?), and the paragraphs that are flowing a little more smoothly, possibly another novel, or maybe a short story. I really don't know yet. I will cross that bridge when I feel like I can actually put the scattered notes and pieces into something a little more "whole". I've been reading in between writing as well. I finished a fantastic book last night, "Children of the Salt Road", by Lydia Fazio Theys. I have the paperback version, but it is a signed copy, and I didn't want to bend it, so I ended up getting the Kindle in Motion version; something I have never experienced. I recommend it, at least for this book. The art is quite beautiful, and not at all intrusive while reading. If you go to Amazon

NaNoWriMo

NaNoWriMo begins today, and as much as I have been looking forward to participating for the first time, I have to admit, I am very nervous! It is a bit overwhelming to start thinking that in less than 30 days, I will need to have 50,000 words written. That is pretty funny for anyone who knows me, because I probably "say" 50,000 words in 2 days!! At least my husband will agree with that :) I am working on two different pieces at this point; a novella for a Kindle World, and a completely different novel for NaNoWriMo. The Kindle World novella is set in author Steven Konkoly's Perseid Collapse world and will be of the same genre, essentially, with a little romance thrown in for good measure. In order to understand what is going on in the novella, and to know the characters, you would need to read the Perseid Collapse series. From November 16-20, Mr. Konkoly is offering the prequel, The Jakarta Pandemic, for .99 on Amazon, and is considering putting the rest of the series o